Re: 100+ mps WIFI to ship in 2005

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 13:25:22 GMT, Marc F Hult wrote:
> Airgo Networks, maker of WIFI chips in Cisco (Linksys) and Belkin equipment,
> announced that Multiple-Input/Multiple-Output (MIMO) WIFI with >100mps speed
> will ship in routers and adapters by end of 2005 and in entertainment devices
> in 2006.
>
> http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,122535,00.asp
>
> " At its fastest real-world speed, a network based on Airgo's True MIMO Gen3
> with ACE products will be faster than one based on conventional [100mps]
> ethernet".
>
>  ' "This is the key that unlocks the digital home,"  ' ?
>
> "The technology could well deal a death blow to the coming HomePlug AV
> products for powerline networking ".

While I think this is a good idea I find the last statement a bit
perplexing. I though HomePlug died an infant death. :-)

What I do find perplexing is how various entities are saying how
wireless will be the death of wired technologies. There is enough
wireless technology in my middle-middle class neighborhood that
most of the frequencies are pretty full. I still a world where both
wired and wireless exist.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               (Text only)