Re: New Home Construction

"Robert L Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:qOidnRLSY_HCxKTeRVn-uQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> Another poster once expressed concern about using a paddle bit to drill
> through a wall.  Note that this can easily and safely be accomplished if
> you do the following.  Be sure you're standing on a firm surface -- not
> leaning sideways off your ladder when drilling.  Drill at a moderate speed
> and do not push on the drill.  Let the bit do the cutting.  When the bit
> starts to come throuogh the other side of the wood it can bind if you're
> drilling at an angle *and* pressing hard on the drill.  By using light
> pressure and allowing the bit to do the job you will avoid problems.  Even
> if you do bind the bit, unless you're using a really powerful drill you
> won't hurt yourself.

The concern I expressed was all about hidden nails.  If you can't see *both*
sides of the project you're drilling it's far safer using a twist drill.  A
"paddle bit" will bind on a nail and even if you're using moderate pressure
and speed, most drills generate enough torque to cause you serious injury.
I know of *no* other professional installer (even a former one) that
uses(ed) a paddle bit to drill into a wall space.  Your experience may have
been good so far but I just don't believe in taking chances.  If I miss even
one day "at the counter", my customers throw fits.  ;-))