Re: how to fit x10 switches in a gangbox

Armond Perretta wrote

>...Since my next move is to the crematorium
> I am not immediately concerned.

Having spent some summers nearby in Harvey Cedars you might find Mother
Nature has other plans.  If the scientists are right, there are going to be
lots more Cat 5 hurricanes like Katrina and offshore islands like Long Beach
Island seem to be among their favorite foods!  It's certainly changed my
long-term retirement plans.

I'm expecting that insurers may make living in the hurricane belt a very
expensive proposition.  Only people who can afford the premiums or can
self-insure are going to be able to rebuild.  I think Katrina's going to
change the very nature of beautiful but risky living, at least for some
people.  For others, it's going to mean they have more beachfront to
themselves, even if the beachfront moves inland every decade or two.

After thinking it over, I'm heading for the mountains when I retire. Of
course, that limits the amount of sailing I can do on a daily basis.  I must
admit that Long Beach Island is remarkably beautiful. <nostalgia attack>  I
can remember deep blue skies, giant puffy clouds, the sound of the surf, the
smell of the salt air . . . Where's my Jan and Dean "Surf City" 45RPM?

As for fitting X-10 switches into a shallow gangbox, you've hit on the
eternal "how do you fit 10 pounds of *stuff* into a 5 pound sack?"  I've
been able to get around that problem by using X-10's ultra-thin "Sticka"
switches to operate one in-line module and a number of lamp and appliance
modules.  The switches are of horrible quality (sometimes taking two or
three presses to activate) but they allow me to turn off 4 sets of lights
standing in one spot.

Installing X-10 switches to do the same would cost me at least $400 in
electrician time and dry wall repair.  Since we're not staying here much
longer, it seems better to make do with a switch that's used twice a day
than to rip out walls and wires.  Worse, still, this is very old wiring and
highly unforgiving of being buffeted around.  A simple switch replacement
can easily turn into big trouble if an old wire breaks.

Your situation is different.  I think there's a series of Leviton faceplate
switches that might work if you used in-line modules or lamp modules (that
can be made into in-line modules by cutting an extension cord in half).  I
don't know if it would help to have to install only one X-10 type controller
per wall gang, or even if the Leviton series take up more room that stock
X-10 devices, but it's something to consider:

http://www.asihome.com/ASIshop/product_info.php?products_id=1305

--
Bobby G.