Re: how to fit x10 switches in a gangbox

Marc F Hult wrote:
>  "Armond Perretta" <newsgroupreader@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote ...
>>
>> In several cases the common wires and some of the hot leads were cut
>> way back, twisted together, and connected to a separate piece of 14
>> wire that was run out of the box.  Most of the leads from the X10
>> switches are stranded wire, and I was able to connect many switch
>> leads to the single 14 gauge wire.  This was a big help.
>
> In the US, the National Electrical Code (NEC) _requires_ six inches of
> conductor extending at least 3 inches outside the box -- so your
> wiring no may longer meet code.

I follow code when I'm aware of the provisions, but I did not know this.  I
suspect the wiring is 1 to 1.5 inches short in some instances, and if it
ever comes to that an inspector may find fault.  Since my next move is to
the crematorium I am not immediately concerned.

However I do not think that the switches would fit well enough unless I did
what it seemed I had to do.  Additionally the removal of XS wire may help in
heat dissipation, which is sometimes a concern with X10 components such as
dimmers.  The house is relatively new, but during construction about 3 years
ago I was uninformed enough _not_ to request extra deep boxes.  I was also
lucky enough to find the common wire in all of the boxes (29 switches) when
the time came.

--
Good luck and good sailing.
s/v Kerry Deare of Barnegat