Re: how to fit x10 switches in a gangbox

On 2 Oct 2005 21:22:49 -0700, "unfrostedpoptart" <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <1128313369.135384.98140@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Marc,
>
>I understand your point.  However, it doesn't apply to my house.  I use
>compact fluorescents most places, so I'm using the relay switches, so
>there shouldn't be any issue with switching noise.  And they should be
>able to be pretty small.
>
> David

Interesting. We/I tend to use dimmers where multiple on-off _switched_
lights might do the just as well or better especially when high apparent
color temperature is desired.  Using mechanically switched fluorescent
lighting an excellent approach to energy conservation in my opinion.

Another efficient and simpler approach using incandescent lamps and
obtaining two different color temperature are well as different illumination
levels is the tri-state, switched diode approach (on-low-off) used in some
table lamps. I need to think on this some more.

The use of/need for dimmers (as contrasted with on-off switches) is a major
complication for automated lighting owing to factors ranging from available
time ('bandwidth") on the AC line for X10, to design of switches/knobs, to
electrical efficiency, to complexity of software.

Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org