Re: suggestions for air temperature measurement

"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> Thanks for the suggestion. The mcs plug-in seems intrinsically very
> capable
> from what I could tell.
>
> But I poked around the Homeseer site longer than I had patience for
> without
> finding a manual or any actual description. Did I miss it? And no url for
> mcs web site.  Apparently I have to download Homeseer (yet again), install
> it (yet again) and then download the plug-in on a trial basis in order to
> see the manual? What I did find was lots of discussions of problems and
> bugs
> in the forum. That's what has discouraged me from pursuing HomeSeer. For
> example, it took forever to get the NAPCO security working and IIRC, in
> the
> end they ditched the original 3rd party plug-in.
>
> Some folks thunk what HomeSeer v2 would improve things, but that hasn't
> been
> the case as far as I can tell...
>
> Monitoring with undependable/intermittent data system can be very tedious.
> Manual cleanup/bridging of the data set can unexpectedly consume the
> lion's
> share of the effort. That's part of why I discontinued using 1-wire. Early
> versions of the temperature sensors were flakey. Apparently they've
> improved, and the problems acknowledged, so I may give them another whirl.
>
> Out of curiosity, what thermostats are you using? I've been happy with
> Enerzone/Statnet/Aprilaire which uses a straight-forward ASCII command set
> that could be adapted to homebrew devices.
>
> ... Marc
> Marc_F_Hult
> www.ECOntrol.org

I agree they don't make it easy to preview manuals.  You can get a pretty
good picture of the capabilities by perusing the mcs temperature-specific
forum.

FWIW, I've been running HomeSeer 2 for about a month with no problems.

Re the thermostats, I'm using RCS, which is supported by a HomeSeer plug-in.
I've got a couple of zone controllers (a ZCV2 and a ZCV4) and five wall
display units (three TS40 and two TS16).  The major installation effort is
running cable - all my existing thermostats are old-fashioned two-wire.

    - Dennis Brothers