Re: Short Plenum Run Question

L. M. Rappaport wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2005 12:03:47 -0800, scary_penguin@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote (with
> possible editing):
>
> >I just finished running network lines as part of a basement finishing
> >product.  I bought non-plenum cable, because I wasn't planning on
> >running any cable inside the air ducts, but just realized that I
> >actually did end up running cable across the bottom of my cold air
> >return vent.
>
> That's a bit unclear.  It can be interpreted two ways.
>
> Is it INSIDE the plenum?  If so, you really need to replace it with
> plenum cable.
>
> If it's OUTSIDE the metal plenum, you can leave things the way they
> are.

Basically, when I framed, I set up a cold air return in two adjacent
spans between the 2x4 framing studs - one side is drywall, with a 30"
grate about 6" off the ground - the other side is tin, with a duct
starting about 3 feet off the ground and running to the main cold air
return, which leads to my furnace.  Ideally, that way when the furnace
draws in cold air, it will draw air from the floor level of my
basement.

A couple inches below the grate, I have 3 non-plenum cables, running
for a span of about 30".  There's no way to replace them now, although
I suppose I could cut the cable at both ends of the span, put an RJ-45
port at each end, and run plenum patch cables across the span.
However, I think the easier solution is to install a fireblock between
the area where the cables are and the cold air return.  Assuming that I
can do that, (I need to open the grate tonight and check), I think I'll
be ok.

Thanks for your help, everyone.