Re: Retrofitting existing floodlights

Jim Thompson wrote:
> On 7 Nov 2005 09:59:38 -0800, "cmc" <colinmc@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> >As a newbie to the world of home automation, I have what may be a basic
> >question.
> >
> >In back of my home I have three dual floodlights (with two 75w lamps in
> >each) which are switched on and off at a switch inside the house.
> >
> >Is it possible to add a motion sensor to the system so that these
> >floodlights would become "security lights". If so, what would I need to
> >purchase and could I, with my minimal skills, do the installation
> >myself? Would I replace the exsiting switch with something else?
>
> Depends on how they are wired.
>
> If the wiring has the power come to the fixture first, then routes
> down to a switch, it should be a piece-a-cake.
>
> Is the switch outside or inside?  Where would the motion sensor need
> to be located?
>
>                                         ...Jim Thompson
> --
> |  James E.Thompson, P.E.                           |    mens     |
> |  Analog Innovations, Inc.                         |     et      |
> |  Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems  |    manus    |
> |  Phoenix, Arizona            Voice:(480)460-2350  |             |
> |  E-mail Address at Website     Fax:(480)460-2142  |  Brass Rat  |
> |       http://www.analog-innovations.com           |    1962     |
>
> I love to cook with wine.      Sometimes I even put it in the food.

The switch is inside the house. It is half of a dual switchplate, with
the other half controlling an interior light. There is a dual
floodlight on each end of the house, with one in the middle. I would
mount the motion sensor somewhere in the vicinity of this middle light.
The middle light is also the one that's closest to the interior switch.