Re: Another newbie vacation home question

On 18 Nov 2005 07:29:00 -0800, "Mark Thomas" <mrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <1132327740.943597.63850@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>> I want to be able to lower/raise the temp at my
>> vacation house either via phone or web - either is okay.
>>  any of the controlled thermostats I see out
>> there seem to need new wires run, or to be attached to the 110v.  I've
>> also seen the ip-addressable thermostats but was disappointed to see
>> that they don't have wireless capability (big market opportunity here).
>>
>> I only care about controlling one thermostat since the one I'm thinking
>> of would cover the majority of the house.
>
>OK, you'll need two things: a controller that you'll be able to dial
>into, and a thermostat system supported by that controller, preferably
>without having to run new wires.

1)  A local controller (at the vacation home) is not required if one uses a
communicating thermostat connected via TCP-IP--> RS-xxx converter via the
internet. The original poster states that he has 24x7 internet connection so
seems completely practical in his case. Optionally, the thermostat at the
remote location (vacation home) could indeed be connected to a controller at
one or more different locations.  This ability has been a feature of Savoy's
CyberHouse (no longer available for new sales) since at least 1999. As I
understand it, Charmed Quark has/will soon have the ability of a local
instance of the software running on a local pc to control devices connected
to serial ports on a remote pc connected via the internet.

2) All communicating thermostats that I am aware of *do* require one to "run
new wires" if, as in the original poster's case, AC and spare low voltage
conductors are not available. So one actual solution to the OP's problems is
using the existing wiring to connect a remote sensor to a T-sat that can
accommodate a remote sensor and to move the T-stat to the other end of the
existing wire (or an extension to it).

See also my other post on this topic.

Marc
Marc_F_Hult