Re: Short Plenum Run Question

On 29 Nov 2005 01:06:59 -0800, robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote (with
possible editing):

>> In addition to Robert's coments, building codes may allow you to run
>standard FT-4 as well (for communications and network)...
>
>NOT in a duct.  This is a duct -- not a plenum -- and US code does not
>permit any cables within it except those necessary to operate the duct.
>
>> In Vancouver (for instance) you don't need to run plenum
>> rated wire in a plenum if the total length of the wire run
>> (from panel to device) doesn't exceed 9 meters...
>
>Same here although the distance isn't the same, but that rule does not
>apply to ducts.
>
>Regards,
>Robert L Bass
>www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

While you're right about those cables not being allowed in a duct, I
am still not so sure it's a duct and not a plenum.  I've read and
re-read his post and it still isn't clear to me.   It doesn't sound
like everything is enclosed in tin and the wires may be below the tin
part.  That sounds like a plenum, not a duct.

Theron - do the wires go through a channel enclosed on all sides by
sheet metal or is the only sheet metal on the top?

No flame, just trying to visualize what he has.
--

Larry
Email to rapp at lmr dot com