Re: halogen lamp on x10

In article <NtGdnYG4UccAkxzfRVn-qg@xxxxxxx>,
	"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> writes:
> <bcboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> I do have an IR temp gun.
>> Should I measure the temp at the fixture around the bulb?

Don't point the gun at a bright light source -- you might damage it.

> "Figure 2. Halogen lamps have caused more than 500 fires and 30 deaths
> around the country."

Interesting Figure/Graph, but it's wrong.
Halogen bulb wall temperature must be between 250C (for halogen
cycle to operate) and 350C (above which the lead-in wires through
the pinch seal will fail). The graph shows 350C-550C.
Also, Compact Fluorescents are often designed to operate at or
slightly above 100C. The graph shows something nearer 75C.

> If I were you, I'd make sure that the bulb surface was less than Farenheit
> 451 (the ignition point of paper) if I were going to continue using it.  If
> I didn't just chuck the damn firestick in the trash first!  You can get some
> CF retrofits.  I use the 8" long kind that puts out the equivalent of a 200W
> incandescent bulb and is still "touchable" unlike a halogen bulb, which I
> suppose is "touchable" too, if you're made of ceramic or have a *very* high
> pain threshold. :-)

I believe the UL test requires one of these lamps to fall over
into/against a muslin cloth without igniting it. Generally, that
requires a tilt switch to switch off when it tips away from
vertical, and a shield spaced far enough from the bulb not to
be above the ignition temperature and to keep the cloth far
enough from the filament radiant heat source so the bulb radiant
energy does not get a chance to ignite the cloth before it cools.

--
Andrew Gabriel