Re: halogen lamp on x10

<bcboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> I do have an IR temp gun.

May I ask what for?  The only other folks I know who own one are the ones
that burn up CPU chips on video to prove how hot they get (over 900F IIRC).

> Should I measure the temp at the fixture around the bulb?

Measure the temperature on whatever surface might come in contact with
flammable material if the lamp tipped over.

> Or the bulb itself? Any idea what a normal running
> temp is?

There's a chart here:

http://hem.dis.anl.gov/eehem/01/010307.html

"Figure 1. Halogen bulbs not only waste large amounts of electricity but
also represent a major safety risk because their surface temperatures are so
high."

I wasn't even aware that California wanted to ban them during the energy
crisis because they guzzle so much juice compared to CF bulbs.

Check out the figure below that, a map of the US casualties of torchiere
halogens.

"Figure 2. Halogen lamps have caused more than 500 fires and 30 deaths
around the country."

If I were you, I'd make sure that the bulb surface was less than Farenheit
451 (the ignition point of paper) if I were going to continue using it.  If
I didn't just chuck the damn firestick in the trash first!  You can get some
CF retrofits.  I use the 8" long kind that puts out the equivalent of a 200W
incandescent bulb and is still "touchable" unlike a halogen bulb, which I
suppose is "touchable" too, if you're made of ceramic or have a *very* high
pain threshold. :-)

--
Bobby G.