Re: Multiple Screens, One Computer

"Mark Thomas" <mrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>At the current prices, yes. It's brand new and I think they're trying
>to recoup some R&D. One of their folks said that once the products are
>shipping in quantity, the price could drop substantially.

Is he the same math whiz who thinks that dividing a rectangle into 8 smaller
rectangles makes 8 quadrants? Of course, that might explain the 'patent
pending' claim. ;)

>There is no processing in the screens, only on the server, so I imagine
>the hardware cost is quite low.

Pocket PC sized touchscreens are inexpensive. (Theirs look smaller.) What's
not clear to me is whether you need their $2500 PC or can just use their PCI
card and software. Still some PC is needed so the total cost needs to
include that.

There's also the need for CAT5 which means it's not as retrofittable as
wireless.

>I agree about the 770. But there is a market for inexpensive in-wall
>touchscreens.

I think the 770 may make a good in-wall (or on-wall) touchscreen. All it
needs is a 5V(?) supply.

And it depends on the definition of "inexpensive".