Re: best deal on lutron radio ra?

> If price were the only concern there would be no Camry's or Odyssey's --
> only Carollas and Civics.  I agree that price is one of the major points
but
> quality issues become more important as the price gap to the next level
> narrows.  Look for better than current prices and a wider product array
with
> Z-Wave pretty soon.

"Soon" is a word that's been heard for way too many years in the home
automation realm.

> I also think that Radio RA is over priced.  Its
> expansion capabilities are questionable, too.  When I tried to get answers
> regarding an expanded RA's control capabilities I got a lot of
> non-responsive replies from the RA salesman.  This was also indicative of
> poor attitude toward prospective clients and dealers -- enough to make me
> stear clear as a dealer.

I'll take your word for it.  My recent phone calls with Radio RA support
folks were VERY helpful.  Their rep went so far as to take my number, call
around for local sources AND call me back within a half-hour.  One might
guess this being possible because of the obscene profit margins on the
equipment. I did find, however, that no retail or distributor personnel knew
WTF they were talking about regarding it.  Not that they knew anything about
other systems either.

As for expansion, yeah, there do seem to be limitations.  That and the
interfacing hardware is even MORE obscenely overpriced.  But for lighting
I'm unlikely to exceed it's limits anytime soon.

> > I want something that just works, if it costs
> > me a lot more then I simply want to find the
> > best deal.
>
> Same here.

Yeah, it's the old "good, fast, cheap... pick two" conundrum.

-Bill