Re: best deal on lutron radio ra?

wkearney99 wrote:
> Eh, powerline as reliable?  I've not found that to be the case.

You're confusing "powerline" with "X-10".

> Line noise and other factors have plagued PLC forever.

Correction: line noise and other factors have plagued X-10 forever.
UPB just works.

> In a crowded
> condo or apartment building it's another matter but that's also going
to be
> the case with PLC as well.

UPB can handle 63,750 devices. I'm sure you'd be able to make it work
in a high-density situation.

> But what really drives my interest is actual attention to use by
non-savvy
> personnel.  The switchgear on most home automation systems just
sucks.
> Combine that with various oddball interfaces and it becomes something
that
> normal people end up hating.

You'll have to define what you mean by "suck". There are many
manufacturers of UPB devices (HAI, PCS, Simply Automated, Web
Mountain), all of which have different product lines.

>  They just want to whack a switch and have the
> lights WORK.

This has been my experience with UPB. Don't dismiss UPB out of hand,
just because powerline reminds you of X-10. UPB is a different animal.

- Mark.