Re: which size of OFC loudspeaker cable should I use?

> Sorry if this is a little bit off-topic, but....

It's not off topic at all.  Multi-room audio and video systems are part of
the regular discussions in this newsgroup.

> I'm currently wiring up my house, taking
> advantage of the floorboards being up.
> in a couple of places I want to lay in
> some speaker wire...
>
> My local cable supplier is offering OFC
> loudspeaker cable, in a choice of sizes
> - 1.5, 2.5, 4 or 6mm2...

You can use ordinary (read: inexpensive), 16-gauge stranded cable for most
background music applications as long as the runs are not 100's of feet in
length.  For higher power speakers drawing 100 Watts or more use 12 or even
10-gauge.  Whatever you do, do NOT waste money on so-called high end speaker
cable.  It's a total rip-off.  You get zero benefit from "specialty" wire
when it comes to audio.

As the cables will be installed below the floors and/or in the walls you
need to use cable that's labeled for the purpose.  Many over-priced cables
from Monster and other fancy names are not rated for in-wall use.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics