Re: Lynx X-10 Analyzer (WAS Re: Decora HCPRF)

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>"Dave Houston" <nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> You're reading more into 'calibrate' than it really means. In this case,
>> they merely adjust the ESM1 so that it's fullscale reading is the same as
>> the Monterey fullscale reading. Now both are in error by more than 50%
>> whereas the initial ESM1 shows the true peak-to-peak level.
>
>I'm a little confused (well maybe more than a little).  Do both meters now
>NOT read peak-to-peak and only peak to baseline?

It's not exactly straightforward since both (I assume) rectify the signal
and only measure the positive half.

My pre-ELK ESM1 reads full scale when plugged into the same powerstrip as a
TW523 or any other pre-CM11A X-10 PLC transmitter. All of these output about
10Vpp. The bargraph really represents 0.2Vpp to 10Vpp.

The ELK ESM1 reads fullscale when plugged into the same powerstrip as a
CM11A which outputs about 5Vpp (actually, a bit less). IIRC, the Monterey is
fullscale @ 4.096Vpp.

There's a potentiometer inside the ESM1 that is used to set fullscale.

>> There is one benefit in that it may let you see weaker signals than
>before.
>
>I'm assuming that's merely the side effect of expanding the scale.

Yes, the effect is to make the first bar twice as sensitive as the original
design. It also doubles the noise sensitivity.

Since it is more likely that you'll want to compare weak signals than 10Vpp
signals I can't argue with their decision. But, none of the testers give a
complete picture.