Re: Lynx X-10 Analyzer (WAS Re: Decora HCPRF)

"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> You're heading down the same tester path I took.

I'm beginning to notice that!

> The TesterLinc at $89 is probably too good to pass up.
> The "quality" level it reports is interesting but I like to
> see what's happening. The Monterey is certainly a good
>  unit but when there's a problem it reports lots of
> "BSC" (Bad Start Code) messages when that's not really the problem.

I'll probably end up with the Testerlinc, too, because it's a lot easier to
justify than the Monterey and seems to be remarkably similar as well.  The
Lynx is not practical for moving around much.  In fact, my plans to run it
on an old laptop were not well-reasoned.  The software looks as if it would
run best on a very large display.  Also, when I went to check it just now,
it was flashing the screen on and off, with a WIN32 message about a
parameter problem.  Not a good sign.  I'm going to try it on another
machine.

>I think that's the same issue Dave pointed out.  The ACT 004 not only
> provides accurate readings but can test 220 volt lines if you need to
> (using a different plug in power connector) and also has a transmit
> function with selective signal output levels.

That's something I've needed on several occasions  I can fake it with a neat
pair of spring clips that can keep a transmit button on a minicontroller
mashed down and a surge protector that's known to attenuate the signal by
1volt.  But the ACT looks far classier.

>  I haven't really needed to log data to a PC to shoot trouble so that's
> not part of my criteria.

It shouldn't really be part of mine, but I'd like to be able to port the
information I discover to a format that's postable on the web.  I'm not sure
what I am doing will come to anything, but I can't help wondering if some
housecodes are more prone to colliding than others.  There have been so many
strange reports here over the years it's almost like CHA's own version of
UFO sightings.  Having the ability to transfer readings to messages will
make it easier to get feedback from the CHA brain trust.  I lost a lot of
banked SAF with the "Hawkeyes in every room" experiment.  It was pretty
nightmarish having the wrong lights turn on while the right lights wouldn't.

>  See: http://www.act-solutions.com/PCCSpecFrame.htm for a spec sheet and
> here's where the manual is found:
>  http://www.act-solutions.com/PCCInstFrame.htm  Click on AT004 on these
> pages. CAUTION: I think a read of the manual might get you diving into
> the seat cushions looking for spare change to add to your tester budget!

Thanks for the citations.  Well, there's a website selling Leviton DHC
rocker switches 5 for $100.  That's a savings of $250!! Just enough to buy
the meter!!!

The ACT004's a nice unit, but the Testerlinc might satisfy my tester needs
better if used along with the Lynx unit (if I ever get it working
correctly - time to RTFM).

Thanks for your input, Bruce

--
Bobby G.