Re: Decora HCPRF WAS: Re: UPB, etc. WAS: Need some antenna advice...

> This has drifted rather far afield from the original thread.

Agreed.  And I am going to break it out into two messages because the thread
splits again!

> I have one of the Leviton HCPRF transceivers but don't recall that it has
> built-in lamp module. At least not a dimmer - mine has a solid state
relay.

Correct.  Although the one I have says "300W max., 60W min. Incandescent
load" and responds to the ALL LIGHTS ON command - it does not respond to DIM
or BRIGHT commands.  I assumed that made it more of a lamp module than an
appliance module.  They confuse the issue pretty solidly by stating, in one
part of the documentation:

    NOTE: If a power interruption should occur while the device
    in ON, the light load will return to its previous light level when
    power is restored.

That's a neat trick for a module that doesn't seem to respond to DIM
commands sent by Palmpad, Sticka Switch, Credit Card/Keychain type
controllers and Mini-controllers.  The HCPRF PDF file goes on to say: "It
can also be programmed to respond to scene commands from scene controllers."
Perhaps if it dims, only Leviton controllers can activate that function.

However, further on down when they discuss testing, they seem to  contradict
themselves by saying:

    "3. Transmit DIM and BRIGHT commands. The device will not
     react, but will transmit the DIM or BRIGHT command through
    the house wiring; all units set to the same code will respond."

So, I'm not quite sure *what* it is.  I'd consider it a "non-dimmable" lamp
module, but it's definitely a weird duck.  It *always* collides with the
TM751s that are set to matching housecodes and it doesn't accept commands
from the older-style transmitters that came with the RR501s (which had the
somewhat useful 4 position unit slide switch).

The HCPRF got retired because of the interactions with other transceivers
but I'd sure like to know what it's putting on the line.  The Decora unit
makes the ESM1 do a weird little dance whenever it's activated on a
housecode with dedicated TM751 around.

> It's RF range seems comparable to standard X-10 transceivers.
Unfortunately,
> there's no room within the case to add a connector for an external antenna
> so I did not try to trace the circuit to see whether they are using the
hot
> side as electronic ground. Without knowing that I cannot make any antenna
> recommendation.

Yes, it's quite crowded in there.  I suspect that if the HCPRF ever DID dim,
they disabled that function to limit heat build-up inside such a small unit.
I'd spring for the CM15A with its far roomier cabinet.  It might be possible
to remount the HCPRF in an old RR501 case, but it hardly seems worth the
effort since it doesn't play nice with the TM751's I use.

> There should be no collisions as the Leviton will back off and wait for a
> clean line before it sends PLC. You will get duplicates of all signals. If
> you have marginal coupling between phases you might see different results
at
> different times. If the Leviton can't "hear" the other transceiver, there
> will be collisions.

I suspect this is what's going on with the ESM1 showing a definite second
signal at a lower voltage after it reports a good signal and then a strong
noise block.  This is what I'd like to be able to "see" in some sort of
detailed display.

> Your ESM1 tests sound like collisions.
>
> I think the Monterey is vastly overpriced. It falsely reports every 1110
> sequence not followed by a valid X-10 sequence as a "bad start code" when
> they are usually the results of collisions between signals offset by 1/2
> cycle. The TesterLinc is cheaper. I think Bruce Robin posted comparisons
of
> all of the available testers.

I've read through comments by you and others about the Monterey and decided
to pass on it.  While it stores captured PLC data, there's NO WAY to output
it to a PC for analysis.  I ordered the LynX-TOOLS Power Line Analyzer.

http://www.marrickltd.com/lynx_tools.htm

We'll soon see what it says about the Decora's dawdling.  Interestingly
enough, the ESM1's strength LEDs seem to follow the Decora's status light
blinks by about 1/2 a second.  I'm determined to figure out why the ESM1
shows 1.4 volts or the first series of blinks and only .4 volts for the
second "good" signal.

> This is a good choice for a "scope"...
>
>      http://www.usb-instruments.com/documents/small_stingray.pdf
>
> You should also get ACT's Scope-Test2 if you want to look at X-10 PLC
> signals.

I got the strong sense that were a traditional "scope" to appear, I would
find myself in the doghouse with SWMBO.  The Stingray looks awfully sweet
and if the Lynx doesn't do what I hope it will do, I'll seriously consider
it.  I'm really looking forward to seeing what's really on the line, not
just whether the signal's strong or not.

Thanks again for your comments, Dave

--
Bobby G.