Re: Decora HCPRF WAS: Re: UPB, etc. WAS: Need some antenna advice...

Reading the docs, are we? Geesh - no wonder things are so confused. ;)

I did not do extensive testing with the HCPRF. Once I saw there was no room
to add an external antenna jack, I lost interest.

What unit codes are you seeing the strange behavior on?

www.mbx-usa.com/multiples.htm gives a very brief summary of what you'll see
with multiple transceivers.

While some have collision avoidance, there are still collisions as there
must be a collision in order for them to detect it and back off. This is one
reason for there being two copies of the X-10 PLC code. If the first gets
corrupted, the second will be OK (assuming that one of the transmitters
backs off). The price is duplicate commands - if the unit that backed off
then resumes transmitting once the line is clear. I consider units that do
automatic retransmission as brain dead. It's easy to envision duel-to-death
powerline storms from two such units. When I design something I limit the
number of times it will try to retransmit before throwing in the towel.

If there's no collision, the codes coincide and all's well.

The TM751 does not have collision detection or avoidance. Since it does not
"listen" to the powerline, it is oblivious to what's coming from other PLC
transmitters. When it receives an RF code for its housecode, its action
depends on the unit code. If it's for units 1 or 9, it has to wait for a
rising edge on the 60Hz in order to trigger the SCR that drives the relay,
before it relays the command to the powerline. For all other units, it just
sends the code at the next ZC regardless of whether it's a rising or falling
edge. If there are two transmitters on different phases, the signals will be
1/2 cycle off for units 1 & 9 but will coincide for all others.

Before ELK bought the design, I was in communication with Paul Beam, the
designer of the ESM1. We were discussing turning it in to a more
sophisticated device with an RS-232 connection and I offered to write a
Windows interface for it. Once ELK bought it, those discussions ended but I
did learn some of the details of the ESM1. It does not do any sophisticated
anaysis of the signal but if it sees a 1110 followed by an appropriate
number of 10 and 01 sequences, it turns on the "X10 Good" LED. If it does
not see a legal sequence, it does not illuminate the LED. So, you will
always see the signal in the LED bar for one full sequence before the "X10
Good" LED lights as the ESM1 has to see a full signal before it can make a
judgement.

Now, even with something that will show you the PLC signal, it's difficult
to identify where a specific burst of 120kHz originated. If we're looking at
two TM751s or a mix of TM751 and some other transmitter, about the only clue
is the amplitude of the signal and that's not always definitive especially
when all of the signal strength meters fail to show the true amplitude for
strong signals. All of them (including the newer ACT) top out below 5Vpp
while most of the older X-10 devices transmit 10Vpp. I have a pre-ELK ESM1
which was calibrated to show 10Vpp as fullscale. The ELK models are
calibrated using a Monterey so fullscale is something less than 5Vpp.

As you can see from the page I cited, I did not do much testing with the
HCPRF. Specifically, I did not test it with other transceivers on opposite
phases which is where most of the interesting things happen. I tested it
using the CM15A as my tarot card. With the Cypress MCU moved to a breadboard
and a ribbon cable from the breadboard to the CM15A MCU socket I could
monitor PLC receptions while disabling the the CM15A's PLC transmissions.

As an aside, the TW523 does not report all powerline activity. Specific to
this topic, it only reports the second half of its own transmissions.
Consequently, it cannot be used to avoid collisions. Anybody who thinks that
it can listen for a clean line doesn't understand how it works. If it is
used as part of a transceiver, there will be lots and lots of collisions
with any other transceivers on opposite phases.