Re: Emergency Water Turn-Off?

"Matt" <mattmorgan64@xxxxxxx> wrote in message

> If you do the acoustics tests, can you post a summary?

That's a mighty big IF. :-)  I have a lot of projects running so it might
take a while to get the pieces in place.  I thought about it some more and
the best thing to do is keep a pocket voice recorder to record the plumbing
usage, since it automatically dates stamps each recording.  I can upload
those messages and the index via USB so I'll have at least part of the diary
of flushes and leak tests created automatically.

Of more concern is the placement and nature of the microphone.  I have quite
a collection, from desktops to flat plate to clip ons to little electrets
for PCB's.  I'm wondering how best to affix and whether to surround the
contact area with foam pipe wrap to try to restrict the pickup of extraneous
sounds.

I also wonder where it's best to place the mike:  close to the entry point
in the basement or at the first tee, which I think is at the water heater?
What about right on the valve or close to it?  I'm no marine engineer but I
would assume the most noise in the pipe would be created where the valve
assembly narrowed the flow of water.

--
Bobby G.