Re: high voltage home runs?

>>I'm reading a contribution to my project from an author who claims there
>>are
>>lighting controller devices that require 120 VAC runs between the
>>controller
>>and each controlled light circuit.
>>
>>At a glance, this seems like a helluva lot of work, a crazy way to wire a
>>house, and outrageously expensive. Would such a system ever be built these
>>days? Did such systems ever exist?
>
> For an example of current systems see http://www.centralite.com. (There
> are
> others.) There are centralized panels with relays that control the high
> voltage. High voltage loads are home run to the panel. Low voltage
> controls
> also are home run to the panel.
>
> GE was doing this at least 50 years ago.

I have one of those, or something like it, in my house now. 24 VAC
everywhere, but 120 VAC only at the relay-controlled lights and a few
outlets. I even have a master controller in the bedroom. (SQLit, you
described this systemIt's a PITA, actually. I wish I could replace the wall
switches...momentary DPST, and a wierd shape so I can't even mess with nice
wall plates. PITA, is what it is. :-)

Centralite looks pretty interesting. Thanks for the info, Bob and Dave. I
have a much better handle on this now. I was imagining NM wire running like
Cat5 back and forth all over the place...what a mess.

-John