Problem with CM11

I have one of those infamous CM11s.  Once I figured what works and what
doesn't, it has been working pretty well for about a year.  A few days
ago I noticed that none of the events that typically happen around dusk,
were not happening.  So, I launched the software on the PC ... it
couldn't communicate.  I unplugged the CM11 and removed the batteries.
I then put the batteries back and plugged it back in.  I still couldn't
communicate with it.  Here's the strange thing, it started working again
and has been working ever since.  But, I still cannot talk to it with
the PC.  I would have expected that disconnecting the unit and removing
the batteries would have cleared the CM11.  Maybe I didn't leave the
batteries out for a long enough period.  Any ideas?