Re: Project for hotel security -- might be something for CHA gurus

"Group Moderator" <GroupModerator@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> "Robert L. Bass" <robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> >I received a call from a hotelier this morning.
> > He has an interesting problem which I
> > thought I'd run by the newsgroup.  The hotel
> > has cameras in all the hallways to protect
> > guests from intruders (or other guests?).
> >
> > The cameras are monitored at a security desk.
> > The problem is security people get bored
> > staring at a monitor and may not be looking
> > when something bad happens.
> >
> > In a hotel hallway the sound level is usually
> > quite low -- typically >30dB.  They would like
> > to install a system to detect audio above a
> > threshold.  They don't want to monitor or
> > record conversations -- just activate a flashing
> > light at the security desk if there is a scream or
> > any noise above a given threshold in the
> > hallways.
> >
> > This should be simple enough.  I don't happen
> > to know of a ready-made hardware device that
> > would work as the sensor.  If any of you have
> > done this or something similar I'd appreciate
> > your suggestions, which I will pass along to
> > the gentleman.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.

He needs to upgrade the head-in and not add devices to every floor. He is
wanting to add sound devices to each floor? How many would that be for
proper coverage? Sound like a liabilty disaster to me.  That might be fine,
if it could be worked out, for some one that is being accosted, but what and
how many more devices will he need to add for every other event that a
camera is going to catch, ie: unauthorized room entry by staff, slip and
falls, property damage, loitering, burglary on vending machines,
trespassing, etc. He probably should consider a DVR configuration with event
recording that will annuciate at the monitor as to which camera has an
event. This will get the guards attention. Then add a covert camera at the
security desk, which is not on the screen but being recorded, so that he
knows what his guard is or isn't doing.

Bob4Secur