Re: Structured (low voltage) wiring installation estimates

Lewis Gardner <lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Frank Stutzman wrote:
> > The number of locations
> > was probably only about 35.

> In other words you did 35 drops in a weekend with a crew of four people.
> It makes no time difference if one cable or ten cables go to a drop.
> That is why I consider a "box location" a "drop". The OP's list looked
> to me like he thought the same way. But even if he didn't with 29
> speaker and 23 cat5 or cat6 drops he is over 50 drops. Still a full
> weekend at 20+ hours.

Ah.  So we've got a differance in definition.

When I did my commercial installations, I was typically paid by the cable
termination.  The term used for this was "a drop".

In a commercial installation it is fairly common to have several hundred
cables run between wiring closets (a MDF to an IDF, if you recognized
those terms).  Using your definition, these hundred of cables would be a
single drop.  Using mine it would be a hundred drops.

No flame.  Now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever seen a
proper definition of the term.

 --
Frank Stutzman