Re: X10 Control Question

CM11 is a two ways ASCII to powerline interface and has the ability to
execute in "stand-alone" (without being connected to a PC) stored
macro.
For me CM12 is a synonym of CM11 (but should be confirmed by true
guru).

PL513 is a one way powerline interface (sending).
This interface has no "logic" inside. It means that he is unable to
convert one  protocol to an other or store and execute macro like the
previous one.
At least, three wires are required. Ground, Zero detection which
provide a pulse when the 0V point is detectect on the 110V sine curve,
and TX, which pulse an X10 "bit" (5V) when TX is high.
All these cable are insulated from the powerline through optocoupler.
As you guess, trying to program the correct "pulse" sequence to send
X10 command (in binary) could be a hard work and is not (at my point of
view) suitable for communicating between PC-MAC programs and powerline
but more dedicate to interface your own electronic (like PIC
controller) with PLC.

TW523 is a two ways version of the PL513 (means could act as recevier
and sender).

Just for info, CM11 implement something looking like a "collision
detection" protocol, which increase the overall reliability of X10.
TW523 does not and seems to be unable to provide this functionality to
the upper application layer).

Hope it helps

Thierry