Re: Newbie Advice needed

Free wrote:

> Question about switches: My house is about 15 years old.  From
> replacing regular switches over the years, I only see (and expect to
> see) two wires at a switch - one from the line and one to the load.  I
> don't know why you would ever need to see a neutral wire for a simple
> switch.  SmartHome has the "SwitchLinc RX" series, which does not need
> a neutral wire.  Implying that the regular SwitchLinc and, the ones I
> want to use, all ToggleLincs do have to have a neutral wire.  I am
> confused.
>
> Do new houses really have a neutral wire?  If so, why?  Can I use the
> grounding wire for neutral?  Thanks again.

There are two basic ways to wire a simple lamp and switch circuit.

1) Run the power from the source (breaker panel, or other circuit)
directly to the lamp fixture. This would then bring both a line and
neutral to the lamp. Another two-conductor cable (not counting the
ground) would then be run from the lamp fixture to the switch. This
cable would bring the line only to the switch and return it to the lamp
through the switch. No neutral would be at the switch.

2) Run the power from the source directly to the Switch. This would then
bring both a line and neutral to the switch. Another two-conductor cable
would then be run from the switch to the lamp fixture. This cable would
bring the neutral and a switched line to the lamp.

Usually the electrician will use the shortest route requiring the least
amount of cable and labour. Many houses are wired with both methods.
More and more electricians today are realizing the benefit of bringing
the neutral to the switch and are now wiring it that way.

No, the code does not allow you to use the ground as a neutral.

--
Paul
Visit our photo albums at http://www.laflammefamily.ca