Re: Simple home automation setup

Be a bit careful if you try Active Home Pro (I'm not sure the original
Active Home is still available)

See http://www.x10.com/news/msgb/index.cgi?board=ahp-general

and the bug reports section.  There seems to be many folks that have had a
lot of problems with AHP

You can also checkout http://www.smarthome.com/1132cu.html
Smarthome has a similar  controller, but is said to be more reliable.

Be forewarned...  Whatever approach you choose, you may need a phase coupler
and/or noise filters too...

What the phase couple does, is (if you have 220 v power in the house) is
transfer the x10 signals between the two 110v legs.  If you have the modules
and the controller on both legs (different circuits), without a coupler, a
module might not see the X10 command.

The noise filter(s) are for devices that may reduce or obscure  the x10
signal.  I good example is a PC with a cheap power supply