ademco vista 20P expansion zone interior delay problem

Hi, I have an ademco vista 20p with two 4229 expansion zones and one
5881H RF receiver.  I notice when I program a zone on the 4229 as
either type 04 interior follower or type 10 interior with delay, that,
when armed in away mode, it causes an alarm event as if it were an
instant perimeter type zone.  When I arm in stay mode it works as
expected (no alarm event).  When I arm in away mode I can enter through
my entry delay 1 or entry delay 2 door, trip an interior follower zone
wired into one of the first 8 zones wired into the main alarm board
with no problems, but if I then trip the interior follower zone wired
into the 4229 expansion zone, an alarm event occurs.  Has anybody else
ever had problems where a zone seems to work properly but does not when
the alarm is armed in a certain way?  Any help would be appreciated.
Please reply to this post, my email address is just a spam magnet.
Thanks.