Re: Cheap Ethernet indoor temperature sensor

I agree that it can't be done for less than $50 today although I don't agree
with your cost figure. Mouser has the Lantronix xPort for $49 and it's about
$35 in OEM quantities from Lantronix. Add a PIC and thermistor and the cost
is just over $50 even for one off.

This will shortly change. Microchip has announced a single chip Ethernet
interface (ENC28J60) and Digikey lists it for under $10 in single
quantities. Once it's available it will be economical to Ethernet enable
almost any µController based project (assuming the µController has enough
horsepower). If you use the QFN28 package it won't even require much board
space.

Search www.Microchip.com for the ENC28J60 datasheet and www.Digikey.com for
the retail price.