Re: Suggestions for X10/Automation Widgets

"The Alien" <Someone@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> How about incorporating security into X-10?  Not house security but
> command security.... have the modules only respond to your commands
> and not your neighbors!
>
> One example:  My X-10 is set to "128", when my neighbor turns on
> "A-1", my "A-1" ignores the request,  when I turn on "A-1", I send a
> "128" first, then "A-1" "A-on" then module responds.   If it see a
> "A-1" "A-OFF" it will ignore it because 128 did not preceed the
> command?
>
> Or something along those lines?!  THEN I would be glad to turn my X-10
> stuff back on and start using it again!   Until then, the market is
> TOO saturated with X-10 stuff.  Just check my neighborhood, turn on
> "A-1" and about 3 other houses light up along with yours!!!

It might be possible to do something like that using perhaps a two character
housecode and a custom module.  A "high security" module would respond to
X-A-1-ON, but not just A-1-ON (where X is a housecode other than A in this
example).  Modules so modified would have to be controled by high-end
controllers that have the ability to transmit multiple housecodes.  I recall
someone developed a PIC version of a X10 module, and this may be something
that could be incorporated into that design.

You can probably solve your problem much more simply by just changing your
housecode.  If you still have problems, try the whole-house blocker.

I was just looking for a few needs that could be met within the existing
protocol.  Some good suggestions have been received here and by e-mail.
Dave Houston's CM15A conversion looks very useful.  One that I still like
myself is a souped up TW523 that could drive both phases so no repeater or
coupler is necessary.  There seem to be a fair amount of interest in
wireless temperature monitoring.  And there were a bunch of other individual
suggestions.

I plan to start working on some of these as the new year rolls around.

Thanks again to all who contributed to this thread.

Jeff