Re: Wireless network hassles

Frank Olson <Use_the_email_links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>robertlbass@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> We recently moved to a new (for us) home.  I have a Belkin wireless
>> router connected to a DSL modem in my office at one end of the house.
>> My wife's desktop is at the opposite end of the home, about 120 feet
>> away and through three walls, one of which is cement block.
>>
>> Her PC connects to the wireless LAN for a while then cuts out.  This
>> happens at random with no apparent pattern.  The home is typical
>> Florida construction -- drywall over firring over cement block, wrapped
>> in stucco.  Inside walls are ordinary wood frame, but there's a
>> fireplace directly in the path between the router and the problem PC.
>>
>> I don't mind buying a new RF access point or adding better antennas
>> (there are three of them on the Belkin).  The attic is tall enough to
>> walk around but unfortunately there's no connection between the space
>> above the main house and my wife's office, which was originally the
>> "bonus room" by the pool.  Any suggestions?
>

>Do you have security protocols enabled?  Using the security features may
>cause your connections to cycle sporatically.  If you're concerned about
>turning them off, I'd suggest hard wiring your connections and ditching
>the wireless ones.  Sounds to me like you could do it quite easily (just
>don't make any connections in the attic which you may wind up having to
>trouble-shoot at some point in the future).

I would try HomePlug from any of several well known sources.

     http://www.homeplug.org/en/index.asp
     http://www.broadbandhomecentral.com/bbhl/homeplug.html

Google "HomePlug" to find suppliers. Many are not in the "HomePlug
Certified" program. Higher speed devices are beginning to ship.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/16/netgear-xe104-85-mbps-wall-plugged-ethernet-switch-adds-speed/
http://www.corinex.com/web/wcx.nsf/o/eng-enter