Re: need basic program to print string to printer port

Sancho wrote:
> zhowdy folks.
> I need to be able to put  string to a printer port.
> (using the 8 lines for different device controll)
> is there a basic program out there for that
> or some kind of script I can use?
> thanks
> Sancho

Be very careful what you tie your parallel port to.
When you start hooking long wires, different powered devices,
anything hooked to the power grid, anything that can get static zapped,
you run the risk of blowing up your whole motherboard.
Ask me how I know...I lost a motherboard hot plugging a printer.

Get yourself a parallel port on a separate card and use that for
external connections.  That will significantly reduce, but not eliminate
your risk of blowing up the motherboard every time the air conditioner
kicks on.

Optical isolation is a better way to go.

I'm a fan of automation, but be very careful to examine ALL the failure
modes.  What happens when windows crashes and glitches the parallel port
and opens your front door while you're on vacation?
It's very unlikely to happen, but the consequences can be severe if it does.
mike

with links.  Delete this sig when replying.
.
Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT.
MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK