Re: OT: Advice on Good Online Store Setup

"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 22:08:09 GMT, "Frank Olson" <feolson@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote
> in message  <dZbHe.73766$5V4.17140@pd7tw3no>:
>

>>"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>

>>> alt.home.automation and alt.security alarms are two newsgroups whose
>>> charters do not prohibit commercial posts.
>>
>>Aux contraire.  alt.security.alarms FAQ strictly prohibits commercial
>>posts
>>with one exception.  They must be limited to "new product" announcements
>> *of interest to alarm dealers and installers*, cannot include pricing or
>>link to a "buy me" button.
>
> Read again. I wrote "charter", not "FAQ".
>
> An ad-hoc, post-group-creation "FAQ" created by an individual is not a
> usenet charter.

Agreed.  A FAQ becomes an issue though when most decide that it's principles
are sound and express a desire to live by them.

>You cannot show me the prohibition in the a.s.a charter
> because thar ain't none thar.

Check.

> And unlike the comp.* hierarchy,  the alt.*
> hierarchy does not prohibit commercial posts.

But there are still "ethics" and "netiquette".  If many individuals express
a desire to adopt a FAQ, then I'd say it becomes an amendment to the
charter.  Wouldn't you??

> <rest of Frank's tiresome rant deleted>

Gosh, I'm sorry you consider me tiresome...  Maybe you should suggest Robert
tone things down a bit.