Re: Who makes a timer for days?

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 16:39:15 GMT, "Bruce W.1"
<sorry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm looking for a simple appliance timer that would turn something on or
> off in increments of days instead of hours.  For instance, it could turn
> a light off in 34 days or on a specific date.

> A countdown time for a single event would work too, I could set it for
> say 865 hours.

> Does anyone here know if such a device exists?

Hi Bruce,

Back in the 'old days' when LED clock kits were common, I made a long
term timer by removing the TV color burst crystal most used as a
reference and replaced it with one at 1/10 the original crystal
frequency. 3.579545 megs IIRC. Ordered a special crystal.

Had to do some playing with the oscillator, but it wasn't any big
effort. Lot easier to get them to run more slowly than faster. My
accuracy wasn't tremendous, maybe +/- 15 minutes a day, but for my
purposes it was fine.

The end result was a clock which ran in 240 hour cycles instead of 24
hour. The clock had an alarm. I took the piezo alarm, toggled a relay,
and used it.

I imagine you could do the same thing now if you find enough clocks to
look at to where you see one you'd be comfortable modifying.

Regards ..... Steve

Steve Uhrig, SWS Security, Maryland (USA)
Mfrs of electronic surveillance equip
mailto:Steve@xxxxxxxxxx  website http://www.swssec.com
tel +1+410-879-4035, fax +1+410-836-1190
"In God we trust, all others we monitor"