Re: Garden hose automation - suggestions?

In article <qsidndL325raP5_eRVn-hQ@xxxxxxxxxxx>, nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Jack Edin) writes:

| I just discovered this:
|
| http://www.orbitonline.com/index.cfm?fa=sunmate.product&productid=33
|
| It is an inline valve with a wire sticking out... Designed for hose use!
|
| The picture shows a 3.5mm stereo phone jack on the wire...
|
| Whatever it requires, I'm sure I can adapt electrically...
|
| This is the kind of thing I seek.
|
| I wonder if a local source is available, or if I will have to go mail
| order...

I just bought the 62032 (which includes two of those valves, a 4 zone
controller, and a 4-way hose manifold) at Home Depot for ~$40.  This
seems to have been a pretty good deal since most of the mail order places
I checked charge $60+ for it.  (I also had a 10% off coupon and it was
a sales tax holiday. :)  SmartHome has the extra valves for ~$15 each,
though with shipping you might be better off getting the complete system
locally if you need only two valves.

The valves are latching and I read somewhere that they use 12V (I haven't
measured yet).  The controller runs on three AA cells but it may have a
charge pump.

				Dan Lanciani
				ddl@danlan.*com