Re: Another ZigBee convert

Hello Dave,

> I don't think it's really much of a practical problem. Even with the limited
> range of most X-10 receivers there are not that many who complain.

Well, I have talked to people who tried X-10 and then chucked it all at
the next garage sale. It wasn't reliable enough for them. Since it
wasn't so expensive they just chalked it up to "nice try". But most
people simply don't know that X-10 exists.

> I have brick exterior walls and plaster interior walls with wire lathe (your
> wire mesh) in the ceilings and around windows, doors and archways. I make
> fairly heavy use of RF as my mobility is severely restricted.

That is encouraging. If your wireless phone (not the high powered cell
phone) works then most other stuff should. In our case we do have dead
spots behind lava rock walls and in the garage area. It depends a bit on
how they did the lathe. When I tore out our bathroom vanity tiles I
found they had run it in large rolls all the way up the walls, even
twisting one roll's threads to the next. That wasn't just bad for RF, it
also meant I had to rip out the whole backsplash mud.

> As long as people understand that ZigBee is low power and requires fairly
> close spacing, I don't think there will be many problems. Many ZigBee
> devices will be battery powered so the lack of an outlet may not be a
> problem. Most houses here have ample outlets anyway.

Batteries are not too practical. If they last 5 years, then maybe. But
in our area most batteries die from heat exhaustion (leaks) before they
are used up. Except the expensive lithium ones.

> It may be more of a problem in Europe where stone and cement structures are
> more common. They tend to be unfriendly to RF.

Stone is ok. The tough challenges come with concrete that contains spot
welded criss-cross rebar. They put rebar into almost anything. From a
stability point of view they buildings are far superior, I really miss
our house we had there. But I never figured out why they even put rebar
into the slab.

> I think you'll find the NFPA codes are quite restrictive and assure that
> construction materials are thoroughly tested for safety.

I sure hope so. Code isn't always a guarantee though. Several people
died when the airport in Duesseldorf, Germany, caught fire. They all
died from toxic fumes despite the fact that this was a public building
which is much more regulated than residential.

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com