computer DVR for home security cameras

I have 4 security cameras that I use at home with a multiplexor. I
wanted to setup a computer based DVR so I could monitor the cameras
remotely and record longer lengths of time. I've been looking at the
geovision 600 card. Has anyone had any experience with this card or any
other add on DVR card for security cameras?

I've heard that the software can me buggy and a general pain to use. If
you've set this up, i'd like to hear about it.