Re: Advice on Good Online Store Setup

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 16:59:13 -0400, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<8_WdnVzUsa7oEHPfRVn-tA@xxxxxxx>:

>"E. Lee Dickinson" <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>
>> "Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>> >

>> > Of the last 22 posts in comp.home.automation distributed by my usenet
>> > provider, 20 are off-topic or spam (see below)
>>
>> Wow, Mark. Not a single one of the obvious ads you listed in your subject
>> list were posted by my news service.
>
>Same  here.  My ISP recently subcontracted their newsgroup needs to
giganews
>and I haven't see a single ad in weeks.  OT trash, well that's another
story
>. . .

My cable broadband provider includes usenet nntp as part of its basic charge
so I use it. Mostly carries Big 8 usenet (text) groups and some binaries. I
don't use alt.* or binary groups, so except for the spam issue, its OK.
Retention on text groups is plenty good enough.

Having to pay for a duplicate service is/would be another cost of the
web-scum.

I also have static dsl, which also comes with "free" nntp but I don't want
that IP address on the net so I wouldn't want to post to usenet through it.
There are good HA-related reasons to not to broadcast on the web the IP
address to which one's HA controller is connected. Obscurity is good, if
insufficient. Obscurity and a [name of real hardware firewall ]  is better
;-)

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult