Re: Household electrical current to Excel ???

"Declan McEvoy" <ngacs@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I want to be able to monitor electrical usage in the home in real time and
> to be able to see the effects of for example turning off the TV or turning
> on the water heating in graphical or numeric form.
>
> I looking for opinions on the best way(s) and product(s) for doing this.
>
> Presumably one would simply measure the electrical current drawn from the
> consumer board and send this reading to the PC using some kind of data
> acquisition board and software?
>
> I'm really not all that familiar with the products that are out there for
> doing this and would appreciate any help / opinions.
>
> I trolled Deja News and so apologise if it has been aired before!
>

> Declan.

Check with the local Eaton Electric office. See if there is anyone that is
savvy into the old IMPACC system. You could get a power/energy sentinel  and
connect it up to an old computer.
IMPACC has a special modem that communicates to the devices. Data base is
CSV, right down your alley.
I have several of the setups running at different times for my customers.

I suggest this cause the company is not selling IMPACC anymore. They might
give you a set up. Or know of a company in the neighborhood that upgraded to
the current product.  The power/energy sentinels are utility grade,
depending on your rate structure. If your in Kalifornia with low peak, high
peak, mid peak, etc. You need an better product.

E-mon has some simple meters that are good. So does PML

If your going to do it make sure that you keep the accuracy within 2-3% not
much sense in going to all of the trouble and expense for a WAG.