HAI Communicating Thermostat source code?

I'm trying to learn how to communicate with my thermostat using RS232.
Unfortunately, so far I have been completely stymied.  Does anyone
have some sample source code that could help me get started?  The very
easiest possible example would, I'm sure, be enough to get me going.
I don't even care much what language it's in.  I'm about 80% certain
I've got the cabling right, but I can't get a response from the
thermostat no matter what I try.

Thanks in advance!
Brad.