Re: DMX optoisolator

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 04:21:48 -0000, Eric N Johnson <enj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <11h53asqtj33e5e@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Marc F Hult <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Right. So make sure your homebrew uses sockets.
>
>Definately. A good machine-pin socket is even better. Really nice
>PCB designers will even put spare line drivers and opto-isolators on the
>board clearly labeled as "spare".
>
>> Eric: Do you have any experience with the Burr Brown ISO485P ?
>
>I'm afraid I don't. TI (who bought Burr Brown a while back) says it's no
>longer available. My only thought is I really prefer to see 485 devices
>that use the standard 75176 pin out in an 8-pin DIP package.
>
>Eric

Yup ;-)

I just bought some ISO485P's (isolated RS-485 drivers) and DCP010505BP's
(small 5vdc-5vdc isolated power supplies) on eBay. The ISO485P is a 14-pin
device with the middle 10 pins unused. So an 8-pin 75176-type device can be
accommodated on the PCB under its footprint using the same 14-pin socket
for either device family (either/or, of course).

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org