Re: Zon Audio distribution question

Quite a discussion going on... some more points to ponder:

ZON is greatly expandable, if that suits you. The 60watts per zone may be
overkill for one pair of speakers, but what about an application, such as a
hallway or great room, that has more? It works to 4 ohms, so you can arrange
several speakers to play off of the zone "keypad" (it's not really a keypad,
much cooler).

There is a large variety of finishes available, including woodgrains. Go to
www.klipsch.com to see them.

ZON is launching a less expensive version of the system. I don't know much
about it yet, other than 40 watts instead of 60 and maybe not as expandable
in terms of shear numbers.

ZON does have telephone and chime interfacing, similar to Elan's
communication controller. They also have an RS-232 interface to port to
automation/control systems.

The question about digital audio source equipment; look at Roku digital
media controllers. They will interface with your digital music server and
are quite small and attractive. We're using them with Window Media Center
applications. If you already have the Elan DJ, you may have to use a
translator of some sort to control it. We are an Elan dealer but are not yet
interfacing Elan with other controllers in that regard.

Good luck with your project. Let us know what you end up doing.