Re: Crestron FTP

Davide wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently acquired the Crestron CP2-E from a local dealer.
> I would like to access Crestron FTP site (ftp.crestron.com) in order
> to donwload software and updates (my dealer cannot help me).
> Access to the server is restricted to Crestron dealer, consultant,
> etc.. only.
> Can you help me?
>
> Thank you.
>
> Davide

Hello,

Crestron recently restricted access to their software to limit the
number of unauthorized dealers and programmers out there.

While it would be a violation of the license agreement for you to
install Crestron's software unless you were an authorized party (i.e.
Crestron Dealer, CAIP, A+ Partner, and some consultants) from what I
understand the general consensus has been that if the [authorized]
dealer who provides the equipment choses to do so without bundling
programming services they are the only party who _may_ choose to
provide software, etc. (still, this would be in violation of the
license agreement)

How exactly is your dealer unable to help you? If it is because they
aren't an authorized dealer, you should call Crestron at 1-888-CRESTRON
(or see
http://www.crestron.com/company_info/contacts_and_links/true_blue_support.asp)
-- they may not be willing to help directly as far as software is
concerned but they could certainly point you at an authorized dealer
who _may_ be willing to provide assistance of some kind & they may do
something about the unauthorized dealer.

>From what I understand and have seen, unauthorized Crestron
dealers/programmers have compromised the perceived quality of Crestron
in some significant ways and bumped up support costs significantly.
Restricting access to the software is one of their only ways to fight
back.

Sorry I can't be more helpful...

Lincoln