Re: lawn sprinkler control unit repair

I hate for this saga to go on and on, but...........  here goes

1) disconected all the wires at both ends ( control box and valve box)
2) Had someone, connect one at a time each colored wire to the common
at the valve box, while at the other end I tested the same color one
at a time to commom with a continuity tester. I got a light on each of
the five colors, telling me I think that wires were OK ??
3) but what confuses me is that I also got a light between each
colored wire and common when they weren't connect at the valve box
end.
3) So I hooked up just one wire and common to a good solenoid and
control box, then tried to turn on at control box, fuze immediately
blew?

Need a little more advice if you guys are still out there.

Paul