Re: Audio over Cat5 ???

On 18 Apr 2005 02:27:00 -0000, me@xxxxxxxxx (Ray) wrote:

> Thanks for all the good input. Since I'm only running about 25 feet and
> have pleanty of UTP, I'll double up and use 4 pair for left and 4 pair for
> right. If this doesn't work as planned then I'll just have to rip it out
> and spring for the speaker wire. What gauge does 4 strands of 24ga UTP
> equal? Or is it a moot point?

Moot but harmless. One piece of Cat 5 with 2 pairs paralleled for each
channel is absolutely satisfactory for your very short run.

Re gauge, paralleling two wires of the same gauge effectively takes it
up 3 sizes.

So parallel two pieces of 24 gauge and you have an effective 21 gauge.

Parallel 2 pieces of 21 gauge (same as 4 pieces of 24 gauge) and you
have equivalent of 18 gauge.

Run spares though. Easy to run initially and you'll almost always be
thankful for spares, sometimes sooner rather than later.

Steve

Steve Uhrig, SWS Security, Maryland (USA)
Mfrs of electronic surveillance equip
mailto:Steve@xxxxxxxxxx  website http://www.swssec.com
tel +1+410-879-4035, fax +1+410-836-1190
"In God we trust, all others we monitor"