Re: Cat-6 Installation Advice

"BruceR" <brNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:u6I9e.976$CH.727@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> The EZ crimps are indeed to RJ45's what Snap 'n Seals are to coax. Try a
> pack and see for your self. You don't have to buy the tool until you're
> sure. Your standard tool will be fine but you'll just have to snip the
> ends off with nippers - takes all of 2 seconds. Testing is the same for
> any patch cable. If your just doing this for your home and not for a
> living, any 8LED tester will do th job.

That's what I thought.  I already have a Fox & hound tracer.

> They're on ebay for uunder $20.
> If you want the deal of the century, buy this kit for $80:
>  http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15043+TL
>  Although I have a full set of professional installation tools I keep
> one of these kits at my second home and another in the trunk of my car
> "just in case."

Yes, that's a nice kit.  I'll see what EBay has to offer, though.  I already
have duplicates of many items in the kit.  I probably don't need triplicates
until I own more houses!

> The Worthington price for the EZ RJ$% kit seems OK. Check this place and
> ebay too:
>  http://www.cmh.net/catalog/Telecom_ModularPlugs.html
>
> As for staples, I don'r use the insulated ones because they're
> unsightly. I have NEVER had a staple cut the cable during installation
> or anytime thereafter except of course when I've stapled through the
> cable. So, to answer your question, I'd stick with the Powerfast metal
> staples and perfect my technique on some scrap wire rather than go the
> insulated route. That being said, there's certainly nothing wrong in
> using insulated.

I suspect that cable penetration is more of a problem in the regular sort of
cable staple where it's the jacket that actually stops the staple.  As
you've noted, the Powerfast staple shape pretty much insures that heel of
the staple will be stopped by the wooden surface, not the cable jacket.

I went the insulated route because where I worked we had issues with net
cables being squashed by normal cable stables.  Took an expensive TDR and
expensive techs to find the bad spot.  It looks to me like Powerfast staples
allow less-skilled operators to perform professional looking work, so I am
all for that, since I am, without any doubt, a less-skilled operator.  :-)

> As for push 'n seal or snap 'n seal connectors, I love those things. I
> let what I'm connecting to guide me on what connector to use but
> generally I use the F connectors for video and adapters to BNC or RCA if
> needed (like for CCTV cams).  I use rightangle adapters all the time.
> They only add about 1db of loss and no leakage.

Good.  I've been going nuts over which connectors to choose.  I'm partial to
the new universal system that F-Conns has:

http://www.icmcorp.net/F-ConnCommSeries.htm

if only because it allows the use of different colored inserts on each
cable.  I can get the same effect with colored shrink tubing but the inserts
look a lot neater.  It's probably a good time to ask what you use as a
labeling system for your cables.  For multiple runs of RG59 coming through
the same conduit I've just been using white cable and some crayola crayons
to mark it as I pull it out of the box.  It's not very pretty but it's
effective.  No labels I've used seem able to stick to the cable although
they seem to stick well enough to slide off and jam if you've got to pull a
labeled cable out of a conduit.  I've never had the crayola stripe bunch up
or peel off.

> Here's a page link to the horeshoe connectors:
>  http://tinyurl.com/c6szx or

http://www.pimfg.com/local_cat_a.asp?main_type=18&master_desc=Networking&sub
_type=1&secondary_desc=Horse%2DShoe+Type+Keystone+Jack

Mama Mia I hate search engines!  I tried "RJ45" but not "CAT6" and I tried
"horseshoe" but not "horse-shoe"  (although I now see that you've spelt it
"hore" shoe <!> ) and they've spelt "keystone" jack as "kestone" jack.
Phew! Thanks for the Tiny URL!!

Thanks,

--
Bobby G.