Re: Cat-6 Installation Advice

The EZ crimps are indeed to RJ45's what Snap 'n Seals are to coax. Try a
pack and see for your self. You don't have to buy the tool until you're
sure. Your standard tool will be fine but you'll just have to snip the
ends off with nippers - takes all of 2 seconds. Testing is the same for
any patch cable. If your just doing this for your home and not for a
living, any 8LED tester will do th job. They're on ebay for uunder $20.
If you want the deal of the century, buy this kit for $80:
 http://www.mpja.com/productview.asp?product=15043+TL
 Although I have a full set of professional installation tools I keep
one of these kits at my second home and another in the trunk of my car
"just in case."

The Worthington price for the EZ RJ$% kit seems OK. Check this place and
ebay too:
 http://www.cmh.net/catalog/Telecom_ModularPlugs.html

As for staples, I don'r use the insulated ones because they're
unsightly. I have NEVER had a staple cut the cable during installation
or anytime thereafter except of course when I've stapled through the
cable. So, to answer your question, I'd stick with the Powerfast metal
staples and perfect my technique on some scrap wire rather than go the
insulated route. That being said, there's certainly nothing wrong in
using insulated.

As for push 'n seal or snap 'n seal connectors, I love those things. I
let what I'm connecting to guide me on what connector to use but
generally I use the F connectors for video and adapters to BNC or RCA if
needed (like for CCTV cams).  I use rightangle adapters all the time.
They only add about 1db of loss and no leakage.

Here's a page link to the horeshoe connectors:
 http://tinyurl.com/c6szx or
  http://www.pimfg.com/local_cat_a.asp?main_type=18&master_desc=Networking&sub_type=1&secondary_desc=Horse%2DShoe+Type+Keystone+Jack

From:Robert Green
ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx