Re: RFID Starter Kit Available for HomeSeer

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 21:05:42 +0100, Philip Lewis wrote
(in message <qvju0mj4qnd.fsf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>):

> J Wynia <jwynia@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Frank wrote:
>>> reader from a DIY kit? I want to tag chickens using the leg ring and log
>>> which ones no longer lay eggs!
>> http://www.sonmicro.com/
>> Their kit is only $66. Of course, that low price comes with the cost of
>> having to build the entire thing yourself.
>
> another possibility is buying a CueCat barcode reader (~$10 last time
> i looked)... although this will require a little more "intimacy" with
> the chicken than waving a RF reader would... you'd have to physically
> get to the leg.
>
> Are the chickens white?
> would they be harmed by short term exposure to permanent magic
> markers? how many are we talking about?
> (this isn't answering your question... but rather brainstorming other
> ways to accomplish your goals... ;)

Thanks for the idea but they are grey!

I get most fun out of seeing a project work with a chip I had not tried
before. The chickens are just an excuse - however we have 17 in the yard and
I know some of the !!$^&^%£! ar not laying anything and just eating corn!

I can tell if there is a chicken in a laying box using a single chip e-field
probe - but not which one!

The "Pet Passport" chips must be small enough to fasten to a leg ring...

Sonmicro transponders are also creditcard size - my chickens have no
pockets...