Re: Blank PROM's for old Napco Magnum panels

On Saturday, May 20, 2023 at 5:06:24=E2=80=AFPM UTC-5, Jim Davis wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 17, 2023 at 10:00:11=E2=80=AFAM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wro=
te:=20
> > On 5/16/2023 8:12 PM, Jim Davis wrote:=20
> > > Yep, I still have a few of those old Napco Magnum panels out there.=
=20
> > > Old customer moved out, New business moved in. The Napco 850 is still=
 working. Installed it in 1988. It's a new start up woman owned company and=
 doesn't want spend to upgrade the panel if it's still working. I want to u=
pdate communication path to cellular but I need to program a new account nu=
mber in the PROM.=20
> > > I've got the 410 programmer that still works but shy on PROM's.=20
> > > I had one Blank chip which I programmed but I'm not sure I did it rig=
ht and I won't know till I plug it in tomorrow or next day.=20
> > > Just in case, I started looking for some chips and they price range o=
n line anywhere from ( Get this now) $58.00 each down to $3.00. And some sa=
y they'll send you a few free samples. But I figure I'd probably have to ma=
ke them believe that I'm going to use thousands of them in my newly develop=
ed product, etc, etc. But, I don't want to go down that rabbit hole unless =
I have to.=20
> > >=20
> > > SOOOOOoooo Does anyone out there have a few of these blank PROM's sta=
shed someplace they'd be willing to part with?=20
> > If its a hard wired panel the upgrade shouldn't be all that expensive.=
=20
> > If you can't program it then the upgrade is justified.=20
> >=20
> > The Napco Starlink communicators used to be able to be used in "takeove=
r=20
> > mode" if the format is compatible. I never did it so I can't give=20
> > personalized help, but it was somebody at Napco who pointed it out to=
=20
> > me. Might have been Dave before he got booted upstairs.=20
> >=20
> > Is the Magnum the same as Magnum Alert? I had a couple small Magnum=20
> > Alert panels installed before I switched to Gemini, and while they=20
> > almost made me choose not use Napco, they were keypad programmable.=20
> >=20
> > --=20
> > Bob La Londe
> Kinda all moot now. I was able to program my last PROM chip with the new =
cellular account number. So panel is setup and (STILL ! ) working at this p=
oint. Gave her the obvious warning that there was no guarantee how long it =
would last. But I'd like to have a few chips just in case I run into anothe=
r problem with these old panels.=20
> .=20
> I didn't use the Starlink although I could have as you suggested.=20
> Don't know if you are interested or not but anyway - - - - the reason I d=
idn't is, that when I'm upgrading to cellular communicators I try to only i=
nstall the Starlink "Connect" which allows for remote use with cell phone a=
nd text alerts of all events ... but that requires a Gemini series panel. T=
he combination of central station and Napco server charge brings my cost up=
.=20
> .=20
> There is a less expensive "M2" radio with only just straight communicatio=
n capabilities to central with half the monitoring cost of the Starlink. it=
's just a simple cellular radio with no frills. And they work fantastically=
 well. From what I understand, unlike the Starlink they have the capability=
 of searching for and connecting to either Verison, ATT or T-Mobile all in =
one unit. Where with the Starlink you only have two choices and they are di=
fferent radios that you have to try if one doesn't work on an install. I've=
 never had an M2 NOT connect to a service provider unlike the Starlink. One=
 install had to install a $150.00 remote antenna just to get one tower. And=
 on one install I couldn't get any Starlink to connect to anything even wit=
h a remote directional antenna but the M2 got right through with a high sig=
nal strength reading. Go Figure.=20
> .=20
> For your interest > https://m2mservices.com/#product-carousel

I'm amazed the keypads still work on those relics